Go Further with the Sex Blogger Community

Saturday, October 28, 2006

Testing Your Template

If you use one of the standard Blogger templates you’re probably blissfully unaware of the subtle, and sometimes not so subtle differences between the browsers available.

Start using a third party template, or making anything other than minor alterations to your standard Blogger-issue framework and things can get a little hairy.

The fact is that there are standards for how a browser should render your page on the client PC’s display, but the specifications are, in part, open to interpretation. Add to this each browser vendor’s drive to differentiate itself from the competition by adding new features and it can get horribly complex.

Despite the popularity of Firefox, Microsoft’s Internet Explorer is still the most used browser in use out there. Apple’s Safari brings up the rear of the “big three”. So if you’re a Firefox fan you really should test your template design on IE too, and if you happen to have a Mac lying around, on Safari.

If you don’t, your readers might see your site badly formatted, or worse still, not at all.

5 Comments:

Blogger ZigZagMan said...

I use firefox myself......and opera.......if opera can se3e it proper....my best gues............good.......:)

Sat Oct 28, 09:31:00 pm GMT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Damn Alex, it makes me all hot when you talk like that.

The new firefox has an add-on where you can view any page as it appears in IE. Very useful for testing template changes.

Thanks, Alex!

Sun Oct 29, 02:21:00 am GMT  
Blogger ArtfulDodger said...

And don't forget that there are different versions of IE out there as well, which again only complicates matters. Grrr. It all makes my life difficult.

Mon Oct 30, 02:56:00 am GMT  
Blogger Unknown said...

Speaking of templates- has anyone found a decent and simple way to make a three column template that works for all three browsers. I really like the basic black just want that one little tweak.

Sat Nov 11, 06:45:00 am GMT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I looked at my page in IE for Mac and wept. Not that I have any idea to fix it I'd just return to my state of utter ignorance but it plagues me now that I looked. Any ideas how to fix this barf up with IE? Because my knowledge is zip...zero...zilch.

Tue Nov 14, 04:44:00 pm GMT  

Post a Comment

<< Home