Go Further with the Sex Blogger Community

Thursday, October 26, 2006

Just Imagine!

I surfed about and came across this article that details new regulations in China where bloggers are to register their blogs with their real names. Of course there are loopholes, but last year there was a case where a blog (from China) was prevented from being viewed on the web in general (on Google for example).

We spend a considerable amount of time gathering information for our blogs, there's the time spent writing as well (after stumbling upon a creative stimulus that makes us think, 'uh huh, I'll explore this today), and really, when push comes to shove, this entire medium can be so fragile.

I haven't fully backed up anything that's in my blog, and I'm uncertain if there's a way that all text can be backed up (without the pc keeling over in the process). But if it all went pear shaped tomorrow?

If a government decided to streamline certain modes of expression and content/genres, then all they'd have to do is limit access or clamp down on the blogs.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i would feel devastated if my blog were taken away, either of them really.

my non-sex blog isn't particularly anonymous but i still don't want my name attached. it feels that it limits my freedom.

but i could still write on paper right? except i know i wouldn't...

Thu Oct 26, 04:46:00 pm GMT  
Blogger Alex said...

Two points on that I suppose.

Firstly, backup everything as often as possible! Sadly, as you say, on blogger I don't think this is possible. Can you do it on Blogger Beta?

Secondly. Regimes start by burning books then by burning people. You can't kill an idea by burning a book, but you can stop it spreading, or at least slow it down. The problem for totalitarian governments is that whatever restrictions you try to impose, however you try to intimidate them, people will always want freedom and the right to express themselves.

It doesn't matter if the idea of freedom is passed on orally, written down or on the web. That will survive.

Thu Oct 26, 07:22:00 pm GMT  
Blogger ZigZagMan said...

I dont know if this helps....but there used to be a download manager called "gozilla". It was meat in that you could tweak it to download an entire website, with directories, images, and test. I'm not sure how this would work on blogger, but might pull it off.

Thu Oct 26, 11:27:00 pm GMT  
Blogger Shay said...

I back up my blog using word.
I just open the page for a month's worth of entries and copy everything into a word doc. I also have a word doc with my template in it. ^_^
It seemed like a good solution to me because word will preserve all the images and links when you paste your posts over.

Fri Oct 27, 12:47:00 am GMT  
Blogger Unknown said...

A small reminder of the freedoms I enjoy in my county.

Fri Oct 27, 03:13:00 am GMT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have blogged set up to email all posts and comments to myself as they happen, they sit in Gmail and are also downloaded to my mail client of choice.

Most of my work is also composed in word.

A little belt and braces, but it keeps things safe.

It would take a long time to get readership back up with a new blog though.

Fri Oct 27, 08:30:00 pm GMT  
Blogger Dee Jour said...

Thanks :)))

I'm going to explore all the avenues, but first find a quick way to save it all (probably delete stuff that's gone over its use by date or isn't applicable).

Sat Oct 28, 05:21:00 am GMT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I also have my posts emailed to myself. In an effort to keep things organized, I store them all in a folder in Outlook. I don't use Blogger any longer, as I now have my own domain name but the process is the same.

If I were required to give my full name in order to blog, I'm afraid I couldn't/wouldn't. It just isn't feasible. Not because I have anything to hide, but because my ex-husband has stalkerish tendencies and doesn't respect anyones privacy. At this point, I'm just counting my blessings that this country isn't quite to that point...yet.

Mon Oct 30, 08:08:00 pm GMT  

Post a Comment

<< Home